Casillas: "We can’t wait for Tuesday"



Iker Casillas was the star attraction at a ceremony at the Futbolfactory Adidas Store at the Parquesur shopping centre in Leganes. The Real Madrid captain, who unveiled his new gloves and boots, spoke with the media and is confident that the team can turn around the Champions League tie against Borussia Dortmund: "It is not a good feeling, it is painful to lose a semi-final first leg 4-1. But after the match, people start to pick themselves up, to believe and realise that there is still the second leg ahead of us. We have five days to appeal to Real Madrid fans, to come to the Bernabeu to support as they have done at other times for us to get through to the next round.
We can remember great historical moments in which all seemed lost and in the end we made the comeback. As captain and player for this squad I ask that the people who go to the Bernabeu give their heart and soul. The 11 who take to the field will do that to try to get through the tie. We believe that it can be done". 
Casillas praised Borussia Dortmund for their great match, but is confident that the comeback is achievable: "We came into the match in good form, but Borussia played very well and were worthy winners, maybe with a slightly flattering scoreline, but there are still 90 minutes of the second leg to go, anything can happen and we will die out on the field if we need to because after those 90 minutes could be a Wembley final. We know that the comeback is possible, we have a chance. We have played in three consecutive semi-finals and we’re playing at home. After the poor performance in Germany the fans will be even more motivated. What we have to do is ask for support. Fans will be upset right now, but in two days they will forget about it and have to think about Tuesday’s match being the biggest of the season".

Convinced about his team’s chances, he sent a message to the fans: "We have another chance on Tuesday, we are disappointed and hurt by the result, I understand that Real Madrid fans are disgusted by yesterday and didn’t eat well last night or have woken up today feeling annoyed. Also, those who travelled to Germany to support and the team were not in harmony. I know my teammates, we have shared the 10 months of this season and we can’t wait for Tuesday to show the fans that there can be bad days, like yesterday, but there can also be good days". Casillas was asked about what he is going through on an individual level at the moment: "I'm fine, training brilliantly, as I have done many times, helping the team however I can. It is different to what I have been used to for the last 14 years but I am involved with the team, the important thing is the team. Diego Lopez has the full respect of his teammates and Real Madrid supporters and is doing very well. I am doing the same as before, I train a bit more, I push myself and get involved and give advice to the squad and I have to wait for the opportunity, that's what football is about".

When asked about his future should Mourinho continue at the club, he said: "It's clear that right now, I want is to exclusively think about Tuesday's match. I am training as I have done for months. In football there is a third party who decides who plays. But more important than my future and what I am bothered about is Real Madrid. Names do not matter, but the fans, the club, Real Madrid and Tuesday's match". Casillas says the club is more important than any one individual: "Above Iker is the club, which is the most important thing. I do not know if fans’ have the opinion that they want Iker to play or not. I've been dedicated to Real Madrid for 22 years. This club has taught me personal values and I am very lucky to have grown up here. The important thing is that Real Madrid always win. On Saturday we have a derby and Tuesday is the biggest match".

Casillas spoke about his relationship with the Portuguese coach: "It's not cold, it's honest. He speaks the truth, we have a great deal of respect for each other, and we talk about football. On a personal level we do not have the same relationship, there is no need to over think it. One thing is the professional relationship that we have and on a personal level it is very different, there is no need to over think it. The most important thing is the club". About whether the team lacked a sufficient response in the Borussia match, he said: "We do have answers, that's why we have reached where we have; the Champions League semi-finals and the Cup final. You have to look at what the opposition’s strengths are. We played against a team that presses well, who want to achieve something and that play a different form of football to us". And as to whether they have no plan B, he said: "That's what the coach is there for, to do what is best for the team at any time. The coach is the one who can do things with the team and the one who makes the plans".

The captain also referred to Ramos’ statement after the match: "I agree with Sergio. He has a character and an attitude of always giving his all. Sometimes it is true that we lack that attitude. We knew what had happened the day before in the other semi-final and that it could happen to us. But I am convinced that my teammates have that attitude and will show it and do well. If there is something that this team and this club does not get tired of doing it is achieving great feats and I am convinced that it can happen on Tuesday". He also ruled out that the defeat in Germany was due to over-excitement: "I did not see that in us. The day of a semi-final you can think that you have the ticket to the final. But we have a bad habit of thinking about an all-Spanish final, and last year we had the bad experience of not making it to the final. This year we hope to achieve that feat. Borussia will create danger for us, but we have a very capable and skilled squad that can turn the tie around, even if it will not be easy".
Casillas spoke about his individual situation and when asked whether he thinks he will play this season, he was clear: "I am ready to play, available for the coach and to help the team. The one who decides is someone else, not me. I'm happy because when I got the all clear, my hand was great, which was the important thing. Now I have to wait for my chance and when it comes, make use of it. If I have the opportunity I will make the most of it because after three months without playing I have the keenness of a child. I do not give up, I try to put pressure on, keep moving ahead and helping. It is also good for Diego himself, putting on pressure so that nobody in the team can relax. All I have are very good words for Diego because he has really helped us to get where we are".

On a possible division of opinion between fans and the words of support from Vicente del Bosque, he said: "I thank Del Bosque for his words, after the distressing situation of my injury three months ago. Every time I hear his words it picks me up even more. It is not easy for him, but it helps me to push myself further. People can think what they like, I grew up here. I've been here 22 years and if someone does not remember my career, they can have a look on the internet. I've always been committed and loyal to this club".

Before Tuesday's match, Real Madrid play the derby at the Vicente Calderon. "That is how the calendar has worked out, we have to also think about the derby, it is 14 years since we lost. They are going to want to beat us and cut our points advantage. A trial run of the Cup final? Maybe, but I do not think it will show much. What is certain is that in our heads are more on Tuesday's match", said Casillas. Finally, he reiterated his optimistic message regarding the Champions League second leg:" We are one step from the final and we have to make every effort to get there. We recognise that reaching a semi-final is very difficult. Every year that passes by is a year that hurts because it is a lost opportunity. We have to be aware that we have to fight in the Bernabeu to reach the final until the end, until we are almost out of breath".